Tugby-Lennon is an aggregation of three historic buildings – 320, 322, and 324 Niagara Street- located within the historic Lennon Block 3rd and 4th Avenues. Niagara Street is one of Niagara Falls’ oldest streets and the Tugby-Lennon buildings are extant examples of “two-part” commercial/residential architecture of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The second and third floors of each building like today contained upscale residences. The first-floor commercial space in each of the buildings housed a great number of successive establishments – from restaurants and saloons to a dress shop, barbershop, piano store, and men’s shop.
The Lennon Block was constructed by John Lennon, a general contractor and real estate developer in1904.
Tugby Building was commissioned by Thomas Tugby, an early settler of Niagara Falls and one of its most important businessmen in 1909, and constructed on a wide lot between the Lennon Block (1904) to the east and the Courtney Block (1893) to the west.
View looking northeast at the district.
A crowd has gathered in front of the Tugby-Lennon building to stay updated on the score of the 1925 World Series.
The Hydraulic Canal at the corner of Niagara and Third Street is shown here on October 19, 1920. The towers carried electricity from the hydroelectric power plant at the bottom of the gorge to other cities. The canal was built in stages during the 19th century and brought water from above the falls to mills and power plants at the top and bottom of the gorge.
Looking east on Niagara Street from Third Street. The newly installed streetlights are shown around 1940.